The overall value of a home typically depends on its aesthetics and functionality. That’s why many homeowners invest in remodeling projects, whether they involve upgrading kitchen countertops, adding an extra bathroom or replacing the deck. But did you know the return on investment (ROI) for most residential remodeling projects is gradually decreasing every year? If you’re planning any home improvement projects this season, you’ll want to go for those that can maximize ROI while helping you avoid costly renovation mistakes. AC installation and other HVAC upgrades might just fit the bill.
Here Royal American Heating & Cooling, a trusted AC repair and replacement company in the area, shares why upgrading your HVAC system can increase the value of your home.
Why Invest in Your Home’s HVAC Unit?
Making the wrong renovations is riskier than ever in today’s market. Those home additions or kitchen remodels will not only cost you a significant amount of money, they may not pay for themselves over time. HVAC upgrades, however, remain a safe, smart investment. Greater thermal comfort and energy efficiency will exceed aesthetic every time–after all, who would want to live in a home that doesn’t have basic heating and cooling capabilities? HVAC upgrades almost always pay off, allowing you to increase the value of your home while making it a better, nicer space in which to live.
Heating repairs and air conditioner installations tend to be costly, it’s true, but recouping the initial costs is simpler with these projects. In fact, by prioritizing HVAC renovations over luxury projects, you can get a higher return on investment. The National Association of Realtors reports that projects involving your heating and cooling system can yield returns of up to 71% compared to most other types of home remodels.
What to Take Into Account When Upgrading Your HVAC System
As with most home improvement projects, an HVAC upgrade requires careful planning and preparation. You’ll want to get the most out of it, which means making sure every base is covered. Here are some of the factors you should consider:
1. The condition of your existing HVAC unit. How old is your heating and cooling system? One that’s fairly new should still have years of use left in it, and if its components are still working the way they should it’s better to put off an upgrade until you actually need it. However, an HVAC system already going on 15 years old is a different matter. If you notice the need for frequent AC repairs, or if the system already has obvious performance issues, the better solution is a complete HVAC replacement.
2. Overall repair costs. Getting a new HVAC system is a big deal, and perhaps you’re wondering if you can get away with extensive repair work instead of a complete overhaul. You’ll want to have the system checked and get a repair estimate. If the total repair costs are equal to, close to or even exceed the expense of a new HVAC system, you’ll be better off getting a replacement.
3. Energy efficiency. If you want to instantly add value to your home, make sure to invest in upgrades centered on improving energy efficiency. Getting an energy-efficient HVAC system is a smart move for this reason. This is even more crucial if you’re planning to sell your home. According to energy.gov and the U.S. Green Building Council, homes with an energy-efficient HVAC system can see up to 8% higher selling value compared to those without.
If you’re investing in an AC installation, always check to see if your new unit has the ENERGY STAR label, which ensures the product meets stringent energy performance requirements. At Royal American Heating & Cooling, we only carry the highest-quality heating and air conditioning systems from top brand Carrier®. They provide the superior, reliable performance you would expect, keeping your home consistently comfortable in any season while reducing your energy costs.
4. Your location. Does the region in which you live necessitate heating or air conditioning? If you live somewhere that’s always cold, upgrading your air conditioner won’t add value to your home because it won’t be used. The same goes for updating a heating system in a place that’s consistently hot and humid.
Some HVAC Upgrades You Might Want to Try
You can update your home’s HVAC system a number of ways. Take into consideration your specific needs and invest in the project that best meets them. Here are some of the upgrades you can do:
1. Furnace or boiler replacement. With proper maintenance and prompt heating repair, a furnace or boiler can last up to 15 years. However, it will still fail eventually. When it does, turn to Royal American Heating & Cooling. We’re an authorized dealer of top-tier Carrier® furnaces, boilers, heat pumps and ductless systems–all of which use advanced technology that makes the colder months in Illinois easier. When you let us handle your heating installation, we’ll make sure the entire experience goes smoothly.
2. Air conditioner installation. Keeping your home cool and comfortable during the summer won’t be a problem when you invest in a new, high-quality air conditioner from Royal American Heating & Cooling. Check out our wide range of cooling systems from Carrier’s exclusive Infinity®, Comfort™ and Performance™ series. These sophisticated air conditioning systems have proven dependability and perfect cooling performance year after year.
3. Smart thermostats. To better control your home energy consumption and regulate the temperature indoors according to your schedule and needs, you should consider a smart thermostat. In fact, a survey by the National Association of Home Builders states that smart thermostats are included in the top three most desirable home technologies among homeowners and potential buyers.
4. Indoor air quality. Keeping a thermally comfortable and energy-efficient home–which translates to increased value–is the main reason for an HVAC upgrade, but you shouldn’t overlook air quality, as well. Royal American Heating & Cooling can help you with this. In addition to AC repair, we can also handle your indoor air quality needs. Our Carrier air purifiers trap and kill the bacteria, viruses, mold, allergens and other contaminants floating inside your home, ensuring safer, healthier living spaces.
Increase your home’s value by turning to Royal American Heating & Cooling for your HVAC upgrades. You can expect only complete client satisfaction through exceptional products and workmanship when you turn to us for your needs. We serve Melrose Park, IL, and the surrounding areas. Call us today at (708) 928-8372 or fill out this contact form to schedule your consultation. We’d love to hear from you!